1. Jon is a young, confident guy. He loves his family, church, gym, hooking up w girls… & watching porn.
2. Dramedy is about addiction & how porn can pollute one’s realistic expectations of a relationship.
3. Like an R-rated, extended episode of #JerseyShore only it’s not: much funnier & doesn’t lose its soul.
4. Written, Directed by & starring Joseph Gordon-Levitt. #DonJon is rewarding, but beware, this is not a film for everyone.
1. Cecil Gaines serves eight Presidents during his years as a Butler at the White House.
2. From Oprah to Robin Williams, it’s a Who’s Who of Actors & Actresses. This is more distracting than strengthening.
3.Film scratches the surface of the Civil Rights Movement, but fails to dig deep.
4. #LeeDaniels’TheButler desires to be taken seriously, but feels more like a caricature. It’s as if #ForrestGump & #TheHelp had a child.
1. Comedian Jeff Garlin wonders if he can find fresh material surrounding his son’s youth baseball team.
2. Written & Directed by Garlin, this is like a #CurbYourEnthusiasm reunion without Larry David.
3. Movie feels like a bunch of scenes loosely tied together. Characters are more like caricatures of themselves.
4. #Dealin’WithIdiots has some funny moments, but it lacks soul. It’s currently streaming on #Netflix.
1. Two guys are painting traffic lines on a deserted highway in Central Texas. They don’t like each other until they do.
2. No matter how many movies we see Paul Rudd in my wife always calls him “your boy from #Clueless.”
3. Emile Hirsch looking & sounding like a young Jack Black.
4. #PrinceAvalanche has its moments, but it lacks the sharp dialogue & overall quirkiness to make it memorable. It’s currently streaming on #Netflix.
1. Robert Redford is alone at sea & he’s in big trouble.
2. Film opens w/ a quick voice over, Redford asks for help 23 mins in, then 47 mins later he curses. And, that’s all of the dialogue in the film.
3. It’s the human will to win, but without dialogue too many questions remain unanswered. Not to mention it’s kind of boring.
4. If #AllIsLost was a red blend wine: 50% #Gravity, 28% #Castaway, 22% #LifeOfPi, only it wasn’t allowed to age & is weak.
1. Originally, Documentary was to follow Lance Armstrong’s 2009 comeback. Was shelved due to doping allegations & finished after confession.
2. Nothing groundbreaking, but goes in depth on HOW/WHY Armstrong cheated. Interesting to hear HOW he justified it all.
3. More than anything it shows Armstrong’s personality: he’s a bully. This is (partially) what made him a great rider, but ultimately was his downfall.
4. Alex Gibney has directed about 30 Documentaries including #Client9, #Enron, & 2007′s Oscar Winner #TaxiToTheDarkSide. #TheArmstrongLie is worth your time.
1. I don’t always watch rom-coms, but when I do they star James Gandolfini (RIP) & Julia Louis-Dreyfus.
2. Unconventional in a good way: full of adult themes & awkward dialogue.
3. Ex-husband was (one of) Elaine’s (numerous) boyfriend(s) from #Seinfeld… “nobody beats me because I’m the Wiz!”
4. #EnoughSaid will be remembered as Gandolfini’s final film. He is terrific, as is Louis-Dreyfus. Not your average rom-com because it’s much better.
1. Based on a true story: Captain Richard Phillips is taken hostage after his American cargo ship is attacked by Somali pirates.
2. Intense thriller. Could’ve slowed down for more reflection. Excellent decision to show both sides in the beginning as it humanizes the Somalian’s.
3. Felt like #HomeAlone with all of the booby traps on board.
4. Barkhad Abdi is from Minnesota (sort of). Born in Somalia, moved to Minneapolis, went to college at MSU-Moorhead. 1st ever film earns him Best Supporting Nom.
Ranking the Best Picture Nominees
**It’s a crime #InsideLlewynDavis wasn’t Nominated. I’d put that at #3 or #4.
1. You’ve heard their voices, but you don’t know their names. This is the unsung story of backup singers.
2. Interesting to learn the industry. Some aspire for stardom, some don’t. Typically, they blend their voices to a track, then move on to the next job. #TeamPlayer
3. Excellent archival video & modern day interviews (Springsteen, Mick). Loads of rights to music, which makes the film.
4. #20FeetFromStardom is Nominated for Best Documentary Feature. Currently, it’s the ONLY of 5 NOT streaming on #Netflix.
1. Bad guy Gru is back w/ his daughters & minions, only this time he’s not so bad.
2. Kid-friendly, but not as adult-friendly as Pixar films. Humor is more slapstick than smart/thoughtful.
3. Never saw the original. This isn’t completely necessary, but it’d (probably) help.
4. #DespicableMe2 is Nominated for Best Animated Feature, an honor the 2010 original didn’t receive.